“Company culture” seemd to be in the same category as “company vision”, “company mission” or “unique selling proposition”. That is, I expected a short proposition explaining how the culture is like: “friendly and flexible” or “nice office, very professional”.
Today I realised that “company culture” is more than just a few words. It’s about:
- how the office looks like?
- what the usual dress code is?
- fixed or flexible timetable?
- extra hours and weekends or 6h / day (with 20% for yourself – Google style)?
- frequent meetings outside the office or mainly office work?
- frequent trips / flights?
- who the colleagues are and how the interaction will be like?
- teambuildings, team going out for a drink after office hours?
- type of projects you will work on: small, big, change often, do several at a time?
- what competences will my colleagues have?
I now also realise that the company culture is the most important thing about that company. It’s how your daily life will look like!